What’s the Cost of Tornado Safety? Budget-Friendly Tips for Sheltering in Oklahoma
Category : Blog
Tornadoes are an all-too-familiar threat in Oklahoma, and having a tornado shelter is essential. However, the tornado safety cost can sometimes be a concern. In this blog, we’ll explore the costs associated with tornado shelters in Oklahoma and provide you with budget-friendly tips to ensure you can protect your family without breaking the bank.
The Cost of Tornado Safety
Tornado shelters come in various forms, including above-ground storm shelters, underground bunkers, and safe rooms. The cost of a tornado shelter depends on several factors:
- Shelter Type: The type of shelter you choose significantly impacts the cost. Safe roomsare generally less expensive than underground bunkers, which can be pricier due to the excavation and construction involved.
- Size: The size of the shelter matters. Larger shelters designed to accommodate more people come with a higher price tag.
- Materials: The materials used in the shelter’s construction influence the cost. Reinforced concrete is a common choice for its durability, but it can be costlier than other materials.
- Installation: Professional installation is crucial for the safety and effectiveness of the shelter. Installation costs vary depending on the type and location of the shelter.
- Location: Where you live in Oklahoma can also affect the cost. Shelters in urban areas may have different installation costs compared to those in rural locations.
Budget-Friendly Tips for Tornado Safety
While the cost of tornado safety is a concern for many, there are ways to make it more affordable:
1. Evaluate Your Needs
Assess your family’s needs and budget. Determine the size and type of shelter that suits your requirements while staying within your financial means.
2. Research Financial Assistance Programs
In Oklahoma, some programs and grants offer financial assistance to help homeowners cover the costs of installing tornado shelters. These programs can significantly reduce your expenses.
3. DIY Kits
Consider above-ground shelter DIY kits. These kits can be a cost-effective option if you’re handy with tools and willing to put in the effort for installation.
4. Financing Options
Explore financing options. Some shelter providers offer financing plans that allow you to pay for the shelter over time, making it more affordable in the short term.
6. Insurance Discounts
Check if your homeowners’ insurance offers discounts for having a tornado shelter. This can help offset the initial cost.
7. Compare Quotes
Obtain quotes from multiple shelter providers and contractors to compare prices. Be sure to consider the quality and safety of the shelter, not just the price.
8. Build Your Emergency Kit Gradually
Rather than purchasing an expensive emergency kit all at once, build it gradually over time. This approach can help distribute costs more evenly.
Tornado safety is a priority for Oklahomans, and it’s essential to have a shelter in place. While the cost of tornado safety can be a concern, budget-friendly options, and financial assistance programs are available to help homeowners protect their families without breaking the bank.
At Oklahoma Shelters, your family’s safety is our top priority, and we’re here to help you find the best, budget-friendly option!