Preparing Your Tornado Storm Shelter for Pets
Category : Oklahoma Storm Shelters
We recognize the necessity of keeping our beloved pets safe amid disasters. When a tornado strikes, having an exclusive storm shelter for pets is critical for their safety. Therefore, at Oklahoma Shelters we understand the importance of shelter homes for you, your family, and your pets. In this blog, we will explain how to prepare your tornado storm shelter for pets and discuss the essential items that need to be kept in safe rooms.
Select a Safe Room
Selecting a secure room is the first step in planning your tornado storm shelter for pets. A safe room is an internal room on your home’s lowest level, such as a basement, that has no windows and can resist strong winds. It is critical to choose a space that is big enough to comfortably accommodate all of your pets and their needed supplies.
Create a Comfortable Environment
After you have decided on a safe location, it’s time to make your pets feel at ease. This includes equipping your pets with bedding, toys, and familiar objects to help them feel safe during a storm. If your pets are crate-trained, have their kennels on hand and ready to use.
Stock Up on Supplies
Aside from providing a pleasant atmosphere, it is critical to stock up on supplies to ensure that your pets have all they require during a storm. Here are some essentials to have in your pet’s storm shelter:
- Food and water: Make sure you have enough to last at least three days. Keep food and water in sealed containers and mix them regularly to keep them fresh.
- Medications: Keep an emergency supply of any medications that your pets require.
- First aid kit: Keep a pet-specific first aid kiton hand, which should include bandages, antiseptic, and any medications given by your veterinarian.
- Leashes and harnesses: Keep leashes and harnesses available so that you can move your pets safely in an emergency.
- Identification: Make sure that your pets have identity tagsthat provide their name and contact information. This can help ensure a safe reunion if you become separated from your pets.
Plan for Evacuation
While your storm shelter may be the safest place for pets in the event of a tornado, it is also essential to plan for escape in the event of a severe storm. Make sure you have a strategy in place for how and where you will evacuate your pets. Keep a pet carrier or box on hand to safely move your pets.
Want to Protect Yourself in Case of a Tornado in Oklahoma City?
At Oklahoma Shelters, we provide protection in case of extreme weather conditions. We have helped thousands of families stay safe from the unpredictable weather of Oklahoma City and nearby areas with our underground cement shelters, underground bunkers, and tornado storm shelters.
Contact us to learn more.